Postcards From Vienna


Ah Vienna! I was definitely looking forward to Vienna. It's a city that has long been on my bucket list. One day here was not enough, I am already planning my return (there is an overnight train from Florence to Vienna). Not only is Vienna rich in history (it was the home of the Hapsburg court) but the city has a regal and elegant air about it.

Church of St. Peter

We began our day in Vienna with a walking tour (of course!) and hit all of the major sights -- St. Stephen's Cathedral, the Hofburg Palace, the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Hotel Sacher (famous for their chocolate cake), Heldenplatz, Volksgarten, and the gorgeous Rathaus.












It was a very cold day in Vienna, so after our day of walking we warmed ourselves with some mulled hot wine (which is delicious). We were surprised to find a winter fair in front of the Rathaus, complete with iceskating... I mean when in Vienna! Let me tell you, there is nothing quite like iceskating in front of the Rathaus as the sun sets over Vienna! 


After attempting to ice skate as little Viennese children ran circles around me, we headed back towards the center of town to a cellar restaurant for dinner (the restaurant is actually down in an old wine cellar). We ate more schnitzel, spaetzle, and strudel than humanly possible! All in all, it was an amazing (and exhausting) introduction to Vienna. I can't wait to return!


Since I had so little time there, I am sure I missed things. Please feel free to suggest sights and activities for when I return!

Labels: , , , , ,